I am pretty much obsessed with truffle anything: truffle eggs, truffle pasta, truffle pizza, truffle popcorn… you get the picture. If I see truffle oil or truffle salt, I will buy it. No doubt.
For those who are not quite as obsessed as myself, allow me to put on my teacher hat. Truffles are underground versions of mushrooms that grow at the base of trees and were first hunted by pigs. Dogs have now primarily taken over the job because they can be trained not to eat the rare and expensive find.
When I began to harvest sea salt, I looked forward to the day when I had the process “down” and would be able to make my own truffle salt. Well, lucky for me (and you), that day has arrived.
In addition, I have found a local North Carolinian truffle farmer, Jane Morgan Smith who lives in King, NC. Jane grows Black Winter Périgord Truffle (a gourmet truffle native to the Périgord region of France). These beauties grow 3-12 inches underground on her tree’s (Oak or Filbert) root system and are found by her truffle-hunting border collie, Friday…
Jane and Friday
Here are some mouth-watering pics and our Etsy link because you are crazy not to scoop this up while you have the limited chance.
I cannot think of a better collaboration besides that of local sea salt and local truffle!!
Quiet Customers Who Visit Most Weeks
The farmers market is closed today due to the rain/winds we are having. Which is sad because not only am I missing sales, I’m missing interacting with my customers. I have awesome customers. I have people who come back every week and I have newbies that I get to share my process with. Working the markets is similar to teaching kindergarten… I always come home with some funny story or quote from someone. Here are a few from this past week (along with some market photos)…
- You’re the girl whose article is on my moms fridge. It’s been there all summer, she thinks what you’re doing is really neat. I mean, so I do I but your picture is right next to my kids pictures, so it’s a little weird, it’s like you’re apart of our family.
- This woman was super interested in the salt-making process, asking all sorts of questions. as I walked her through the photo album that I bring to the farmers markets. At the end of our lengthy convo (and no purchase), she states, “You know, I think I’ll start doing this in Topsail.” (a neighboring beach community) (WTF?!)
- “How on earth do you get the water from the ocean?” I explain that I carry 5 gallon buckets of water from the ocean to my house, making a few trips each time as I can only carry two buckets at once. Looking astonished, she says, “Well, you should have a man do that.” To which I say, “Well my husband does help me.” With wide eyes, she tells me, “No dear, I mean a man for hire. Bless your heart.”
Norm On His 15 Minute Break
Happy Rainy Humpday!
Oh, Those New Fab Labels!
Sunrise from our porch
Sometimes it takes a wake-up call to serve as a reminder that life is good more often than not. Sadly, my recent wake-up calls include friends and family dealing with death and cancer. It is situations like this, that remind me that my day-to-day life is pretty darn good. In the past few days, I have been able to:
- log long miles with friends
- see two great concerts in awesome outdoor venues (even if JJ Grey didn’t sweep me away)
- SUP in the ocean with my lab
- watch a beautiful sunrise over the ocean
- deliver Sea Love to two new stores this week
- watch the longest and closest shooting star of my life while running a group track workout
- taste a new recipe that exceeded expectations (carrot tart recipe soon to come!)
- finally put a new 5 gallon water jug on our crock (without it tipping over), thanks to my new-found muscles (you may not see them, but they’re there)
Now get out there and enjoy what’s left of the weekend!
Joyce, myself and Mare
Have a you ever heard a girl say that she only has male friends? I personally think that’s bizarre, scary and insecure. Judgey, I know, but how can you not have girlfriends? What about girl power after all ? Who do you chat about hair, clothes, celeb gossip and other girlie things with? I mean, if you think your man is hanging onto your every word when you talk about all of those things, you are sadly mistaken.
Well I am lucky to have a some amazing girlfriends in my life, two of whom recently came to visit. These two have been there through good, bad and crazy times for a really long time… as in 25 and 15 years!
Just this past weekend alone, we…
- Line danced and rode a mechanical bull (seriously)
- Swapped clothes
- Drank champs on beach
- Ran 13.1 miles (while giggling)
- Cried at some point
- Talked about everything from cancer to cute boys
- Introduced old friends to new
- Ate awesome multi-hour meals
- Stayed up way too late
Pretty sure my male friends wouldn’t have gone for some of that!
13.1 miles in the book!
I am lucky. Love you girls.
Photo: Chris Brehmer
Stoked to be apart of the October issue of Wilma Magazine, a magazine that “highlights southeastern North Carolina’s most successful women”… I giggle at the successful part, but stoked nonetheless. Pick up your copy of the magazine or you can check out the article here.
Thanks for the love, Wilma!
The season is ‘a changing (whether you like it or not) and it’s time to embrace Fall.
At one point in the very recent past, I was designing and printing my own labels and going through many trials and tribulations, not to mention ink cartridges! Then, an angel appeared in my life, in the form of my friend Laura. We were volunteering at a Surfrider event and I was telling her about my “finding a local printer” woe. Just so happens, Laura owns a successful line of super cute sandals and accessories, called Cocobelle and works with a great designer. In enters Katya to rock my world! Katya created something I didn’t even know I needed and now, I can’t believe what I used to have! With these new labels, I feel proud to see them sitting on a store shelf. I feel like Katya completely got me and got the product, then wrapped it all up into this cute this package…
The Farmers Market Line-Up
Moral of the story, don’t be afraid to give up some control in your life and bring good peeps into your inner circle.
And while you’re at it, check out the uber-cute Cocobelle, like these…
Thanks Laura and Katya!!